Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Child Abuse

I chose to do my visual essay on child abuse because I feel that it needs to be prevented. With that being said, my claim is that child abuse does not achieve happiness and therefore needs to be stopped. I support my claim with pictures and texts that grab at audiences hearts. Pictures of physical abuse is shown in my essay and this helps emphasize how badly abused children need help and support. Also, I show pictures of how sad and lonely abused children are. They are too afraid to tell people about the problem and all they want is someone to reach out and help them. So, as for my warrant? Children do not deserve to grow up being hurt, so it is not right to harm them.

The pictures I chose fit my statement appropriately. I did not want to be too graphic, but I showed enough to get the audiences attention and sympathy. Most of the pictures show lonely/sad children who come off as being afraid. Some of my pictures even include text to emphasize my stance. I decided to have one slide of only text which says "It shouldn't hurt to be a kid." I wanted to be plain and simple with what I said, yet make a bold statement. The first picture (the eye with a tear drop) fits because it sets the overall tone of sadness for my essay. Also, the last picture fits appropriately because it goes beyond just my stance and comes from the actual child as he holds up his hand that says "Stop the Abuse Pretty Please." This is very touching and a good way to get out the final point that not only do I want to help, but that they beg for ours. My pictures switch from isolated to children to semi-graphic photos of actualy abuse. I thought this was effevtive because it shows that not only are they being hurt, but they are afraid and fear to be out right about it.

As for my musical selection, I thought it to be a perfect fit. The song is called "After Afterall" by William Fitzsimmons. The way the song flows with the pictures is really effective. Also, the lyrics match well. "Please don't leave me" and "please don't keep me" describes the struggles that abused children face everyday. They want a family, but they are unhappy and afraid of their own (therefore being tossed up with what they truely want). The tone of the music gives off sadness, and that defenitely fits with the statement my visual essay has. The song says "Please don't leave me" right as my text comes across saying "It shouldn't hurt to be a kid." This is a strong statement because its expressing two powerful things, not to leave me and that it shouldn't hurt to be a child. I feel that that is almost a solution. Since it shouldn't hurt to be a child, then do not harm them and they won't have to leave you. I sense that the "child" is actually saying that life shouldn't be like this for them and they shouldn't have to suffer with pain and no family.

Overall, it is important to help those in need and I hope my essay helps illustrate how critical this truely is.

No comments:

Post a Comment