Sunday, September 13, 2009

Which One? By Amber

After reading both essays "Why I Write", by George Orwell and Joan Didion, it was clear to me on which one I resonated with more. The main idea of Orwell's was that he has always known he wanted/should be a writer. In contrast, the main idea of Didion's was that it took her years to discover that a writer is what she should be. With that said, I think that Orwell's piece resonates with me more.

I feel that being a writer isn't something you just wake up and decide. It's something that sticks with you for a long time. The things you do in your childhood could play roll in this as well, like Orwell. For example, as a child Orwell described himself failing in most of his writings. People can relate to that as they get fed up and frustrated when they write. However, that doesn't mean they are bad at it or should give up, and Orwell proves this. I also feel like you always have somewhat of an idea that writing is something you may be good at. Then, you may find yourself practicing and engaging in writing all the time, like Orwell did.

George Orwell was negative about his own writing, but he was generally positive about different reasons for writing. I liked his essay because it gave ideas and motives for not just him, but for all writers in general. Didion's essay wasn't as easy to relate to because it gave only personal experiences she had with writing, which were all pretty negative and incomplete. It seemed as though she was unfocused and unsure of what she really wanted. Orwell on the other hand was sure of what he knew, which was that he would be a writer, even though he didn't always like the idea of it. His motives are really inspirational and I find them interesting and relatable. After reading Orwell's essay, one thing I read that has stuck with me is when he basically said " you live in the story and can't stop your thoughts and ideas." Now, those were not his direct words, but a summary of what he was trying to get across. I think that this is 100% true. When you write, you are letting out emotions, whether they are yours or ones you need to give a character. You almost get addicted to the words and moments you are in. This is why I relate best to Orwell's essay. He gives a lot of good points and things I can strongly relate to. Didion's essay was interesting, but Orwell's essay has ideas and things that will stick with me for a while, and I will think back on them when I am stuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment